21 July 2016
We are following the developments regarding the State of Emergency Turkey has declared after the attempted coup, which the European Union condemned, very closely and with concern.
This declaration comes in the wake of the recent unacceptable decisions on the education system, judiciary and the media. As outlined in the conclusions of the Council and in the discussion of the European Commission this week, we call on Turkish authorities to respect under any circumstances the rule of law, human rights and fundamental freedoms, including the right of all individuals concerned to a fair trial.
The declaration of State of Emergency gives the executive far reaching powers to govern by decree. Under the terms of the Turkish Constitution, core fundamental rights shall be inviolable even in the State of Emergency.
President Erdogan stated that the measure will in no way affect democracy, the rule of law or fundamental freedoms. We indeed expect that they will be fully respected, and that the authorities will act with restraint, as outlined clearly by the European Union in the Council conclusions on 18 July. Any temporary suspension of the European Convention of Human Rights needs to follow the rules foreseen for such a derogation.
The EU will continue to monitor the situation very closely, including the practical implications of the State of Emergency. We expect the parliament and all forces represented in the democratic institutions of the country to play their constitutional role at full.
CHP President Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu
Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu was born in Nazimiye District of Tunceli Province in 1948. He continued his primary and secondary education in various places like Erciş, Tunceli, Genç and Elazığ. He studied economics at Ankara University in Ankara, from which he graduated in 1971.
After university, Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu entered the Ministry of Finance as deputy accountant. He was later promoted to accountant and sent to France for additional professional training. In 1983, he was appointed deputy director general of Revenue Administration attached to the same ministry. In 1991, Kılıçdaroğlu became director general of the social security administration, Bağ-Kur. The following year he was appointed director general of the other social security administration, SSK. Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu was named in 1994 "Civil Servant of the Year" by the weekly periodical "Ekonomik Trend”. Before retiring in 1999, Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu had served for a while as the deputy undersecretary in Ministry of Labor and Social Security.
He taught in Hacettepe University for a short period. He chaired the ad-hoc committe of informal economy, established during the preperatory works for Turkey’s 8th five–year Economic Development Plan. He was one of the Board Members of Turkish Is Bank.
Following the 2002 general elections, he entered Parliament as member of parliament from Istanbul. He was re-elected to parliament in 2007. He became the deputy speaker of his party's parliamentary group. Kılıçdaroğlu was elected as Chairman of Republican People’s Party at the Party’s Congress in Istanbul on May 22nd.
- Türkiye, dünya hukuk endeksinde 99. sıraya düştü chp-avrupabirligi.org/2017/08/19/tur… 1 hour ago
- Merkel’den Erdoğan’a yanıt: Müdahaleye müsamaha yok chp-avrupabirligi.org/2017/08/19/mer… 9 hours ago
- Türkiye İran ilişkilerinde yeni bir sayfa mı@açılıyor? chp-avrupabirligi.org/2017/08/18/tur… 18 hours ago
- Erdoğan: “Türkiye’ye düşman” olan partilere oy vermeyin chp-avrupabirligi.org/2017/08/18/erd… 19 hours ago
- Özdemir: Ne askeri darbe girişimini destekledik ne de şu andaki sivil darbeyi destekliyoruz chp-avrupabirligi.org/2017/08/17/ozd… 1 day ago
- Diskusné fórum Európskeho parlamentu bolo o nezamestnanosti mladých November 15, 2013
- Independence of judiciary must prevail in Slovenia November 14, 2013
- Europawahl 2014 November 14, 2013
- Martin Schulz, PES Common Candidate designate coordinates with PES Social Ministers ahead of Paris Youth employment conference November 12, 2013
- Nicolas Schmit à la conférence européenne sur l’emploi des jeunes à Paris November 12, 2013
CHP Representative Ms Kader Sevinc’s blog in English
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Content by dates
Recent Bulletins @ CHP Brussels
- European Defence Action Plan: Towards a European Defence Fund December 1, 2016
- Commemoration message – one year into the killing of lawyer and human rights defender Tahir Elçi, former President of the Diyarbakır Bar Association November 28, 2016
- Statement by High Representative/Vice-President Federica Mogherini on Cyprus talks November 28, 2016
- Federica Mogherini on the occasion of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women November 25, 2016
- Joint Statement on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, 25 November 2016 November 25, 2016