Message by High Representative/Vice-President Federica Mogherini on the occasion of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
Each time we mark the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, we acknowledge a failure of our societies. Women and girls are targeted – at home, in their communities or at their working place – all over the world. Our European Union makes no exception: on the contrary, we are witnessing a worrying trend that defies achievements we used to take for granted. Women endure enormous pain, and very often they have to carry this weight alone. But violence against women is violence against the entire society: the entire society has to react, starting with men.
As policy-makers, we bear the greatest responsibility to protect women and raise awareness: the European Union has put forward targeted projects all around the world, including through the new EU Gender Action Plan 2016-2020, and within our borders. For instance, we are supporting young women who say “no” to forced marriage, and we are working with families and local leaders who renounce female genital mutilation. We are helping to spread the message that violence against women is a sign of weakness for men, not of strength.
Because this is first and foremost a cultural fight that involves all, with the media playing a very sensitive role. There can be no room for complacency. Each and every word should be chosen carefully when gender-based violence is concerned, and there should be no other word to describe the perpetrators than “criminals.” Criminals who deprive girls and women of their right to study, to work, to choose their partner or to leave him, criminals who deprive them from their freedom.
CHP President Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu
Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu was born in Nazimiye District of Tunceli Province in 1948. He continued his primary and secondary education in various places like Erciş, Tunceli, Genç and Elazığ. He studied economics at Ankara University in Ankara, from which he graduated in 1971.
After university, Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu entered the Ministry of Finance as deputy accountant. He was later promoted to accountant and sent to France for additional professional training. In 1983, he was appointed deputy director general of Revenue Administration attached to the same ministry. In 1991, Kılıçdaroğlu became director general of the social security administration, Bağ-Kur. The following year he was appointed director general of the other social security administration, SSK. Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu was named in 1994 "Civil Servant of the Year" by the weekly periodical "Ekonomik Trend”. Before retiring in 1999, Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu had served for a while as the deputy undersecretary in Ministry of Labor and Social Security.
He taught in Hacettepe University for a short period. He chaired the ad-hoc committe of informal economy, established during the preperatory works for Turkey’s 8th five–year Economic Development Plan. He was one of the Board Members of Turkish Is Bank.
Following the 2002 general elections, he entered Parliament as member of parliament from Istanbul. He was re-elected to parliament in 2007. He became the deputy speaker of his party's parliamentary group. Kılıçdaroğlu was elected as Chairman of Republican People’s Party at the Party’s Congress in Istanbul on May 22nd.
- Merkel wants EU aid cut to Turkey for democratic backsliding chpbxl.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/mer… 15 hours ago
- Journalists’ detentions, prosecutions in Turkey ‘arbitrary,’ Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Righ ts says chpbxl.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/jou… 17 hours ago
- Türkiye’nin Avrupa’daki itibarı neden kötüye gitti? @Kader_Sevinc anlatıyor reelpiyasalar.com/Yazar/kader-se… 18 hours ago
- Women from CHP Show Red Card to Law Draft on Muftis chpbxl.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/wom… 19 hours ago
- Venedik Komisyonu’ndan Türkiye’ye kayyum ve KHK uyarısı avrupabirligihaberleri.wordpress.com/2017/10/10/ven… 19 hours ago
- Diskusné fórum Európskeho parlamentu bolo o nezamestnanosti mladých November 15, 2013
- Independence of judiciary must prevail in Slovenia November 14, 2013
- Europawahl 2014 November 14, 2013
- Martin Schulz, PES Common Candidate designate coordinates with PES Social Ministers ahead of Paris Youth employment conference November 12, 2013
- Nicolas Schmit à la conférence européenne sur l’emploi des jeunes à Paris November 12, 2013
CHP Representative Ms Kader Sevinc’s blog in English
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Content by dates
Recent Bulletins @ CHP Brussels
- Merkel wants EU aid cut to Turkey for democratic backsliding October 20, 2017
- Journalists’ detentions, prosecutions in Turkey ‘arbitrary,’ Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Righ ts says October 20, 2017
- Women from CHP Show Red Card to Law Draft on Muftis October 20, 2017
- Turkey must introduce EU standards on its own: CHP leader October 19, 2017
- What to do about Turkey? October 19, 2017